Where did you learn how to cook?
Reading, reading and more reading. Blogs, magazines and cookbooks. My mom had home-cooked meals for us growing up regardless that cooking wasn't exactly her passion like mine. Some of those meals are now my most treasured recipes! My dad enjoyed cooking, yet still not nearly as obsessed as I am. We cooked in the kitchen together as I grew up. There were many times I found him seasoning MY mushrooms behind my back! It was a battle of the chefs in the Nobrega home. Regardless, the way I learned was the unbearable desire to learn and try every recipe I could get my hands on.
Where are the Reckless Abandon recipes from?
All over. Many of them I’ve made up while in a time crunch and starving. Interestingly enough the time constraints make for wonderful, easy, thrown-together meals. Some of my favorites are family recipes I grew up feasting on. A good amount of my recipes come from other blogs and magazines and a combination of both. I usually get my mind set on some sort of meal I’m craving and research 10-15 recipes. I’ll find my favorite ingredients and pieces of each and create my own version. I think that's the best way to learn how to cook.
How long does your average meal take to prepare?
Most of them are quick. Like "20 -minutes-quick" if you have the ingredients. That’s the key to a quick dinner; plan a few meals per week and get the ingredients in one shopping trip on a Sunday or Monday. There are definitely more labor intensive recipes, but if you click on the “quick” label you will find something to prepare in 20 minutes or less!
What camera use?
I have a Nikon D-40 which is no longer available through Nikon. It’s an older base-model Nikon that has treated very well. I purchased the camera in a pawn shop in a very sketchy part of Washington, DC one night. To be honest, I didn’t know enough about it for the first couple years of owning it. That’s why the first few months of my blog were photographed with my iPhone (My first post through Light Pepperoncini Dip). I finally took the plunge and switched to my Nikon for my Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon post.
What lens do you use?
My amazing and thoughtful boyfriend, Blake bought me the lens I really needed and longfully desired for food photography: AF-S Nikkor 35mm. It is amazing for close-up shots and shallow depth of field. I use this lens 95% of the time. The other 5% I use my AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.
Is this your full time job or do you have another job/career?
Food blogging is not my full time career. It’s just convenient that I cook ALL THE TIME therefore I never have a shortage of content. The last 4+ years I’ve worked for GetWellNetwork, an amazing company, as a Sales Executive. It has nothing to do with food…at all. It’s a progressive medical software company that turns the inpatient television into an interactive system to educate, entertain and empower the patient and family by engaging them in the care process.
Where do you live?
Denver, Colorado! Just moved here! I’ve been so blessed to live all over the US working for GetWellNetwork. Initially, I lived in DC (Georgetown, walking distance to “M Street”) while commuting to Bethesda, MD our HQ location. The last three years I lived in Dallas, TX (in the heart of uptown) and made some of the best friends of my life. Personal and professional reasons brought me to what I now think is the best city in the United States, Denver. I drive down the street everyday and the mountains in the distance still take my breath away.
What’s your favorite cuisine?
Italian. No question. Pasta is my weakness. I’ve made homemade pasta a number of times, but I have no self control therefore avoid making the large batches on a regular basis. That is why I've never posted it to my blog.